Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bad Weather, Good People

I bet you're wondering if there are fewer good people. The answer is NO. I've been neglecting this blog as I've been busy with work. And this week we had a horrendous storm.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif Snow, then sleet balls, then freezing rain, then rain, then back again.

But in the midst of bad weather are good people. The ice on the lines and in the branches brought down power lines all over the area. It also played havoc with my Internet connection, which is part of the reason that I've been out of touch. Fortunately, I've never lost power (knock wood as I can still hear branches falling). But many in my area have. Many are iced in as well.

This weather nightmare is bringing out the best in people around here. The evening news reported on people checking on each other, offering their homes to those with no power, sharing kerosene for heaters and generators. People who can drive in snow are offering rides to people who can't A colleague's neighbor plowed her driveway just to be able to play in the snow.

In this blog I want to focus on individual stories. But I think that now it's a good time to think of how we help each other out, and how we have helped in past times.

What do you think? Do times like these bring out the best or the worst in people? And have you seen examples anywhere?

Remember to share the stories of how you have seen good people.

2 comments:

Neurotic Atty said...

A huge limb fell from a tree in my front yard and blocked the whole front of my house. A local tree removal service owner, who I had called earlier to get an estimate on having the tree removed, came over and cut the limb up for me so I could get into the house. He said he would do it for free, and he would've been perfectly satisfied to leave empty-handed, but I made him take what cash I did have.

He did not have to come out, and he could've named his price at a time like that, but he knew I was upset, and he just wanted to help. I should plug the man's business: Miller Tree Service! Super-kind man!

Mac Daddy Tribute Blog said...

I love the stories about people helping each other out. We should see more. But, unfortunately, it doesn't provide good ratings. Also, reporters today are not connected to communities. They don't know what's going on in neighborhoods. They don't know who the real leaders are. They are ignorant.